The next release is Ride the Star Wind: Cthulhu, Space Opera, and the Cosmic Weird, presenting tales that combine space opera with cosmic weird horror, either set within the Cthulhu Mythos or inspired by it. It is now open to submissions.
We want diverse stories with modern sensibilities from many different voices that show the immense and diverging possibilities ahead for weird horror. We want to forge ahead and explore the new and the strange. We are actively seeking submissions from writers from underrepresented populations. (This includes, but is not limited to, writers of any race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, class, and physical or mental ability.)
- We want stories that mesh space opera with cosmic weird horror.
- For the elements of space opera, modern touchstones include James SA Corey (Expanse series), Ann Leckie (Imperial Radch series), Iain Banks (Culture series), Nnedi Okorafor (Binti), David Brin (Uplift trilogy), and Becky Chambers (Wayfarers series). For mixing elements of space opera and cosmic weird horror, the short story "Boojum" by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette is a great touchstone. The technology level for submissions can fall anywhere in the soft- to hard-science range.
- Stories should also be set within or be inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos. We want to see the Mythos continue to grow and evolve, to expand as a shared literary world and not be tied to outdated and limiting sensibilities. We are not interested in stories with bigoted, unbalanced views on race and gender.
- Subversive or experimental stories are welcome.
- No pastiches of previous eras for either the space opera elements or the weird horror elements.
- Original, previously unpublished short stories (3,000-6,000 words) and flash fiction (1,000 words or less).
- Pay rate of 8 c/w for first rights to digital, audio, and print formats in English.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please, let us know as soon as possible if your submission has become unavailable before you hear back from us.
- Only one submission per author.
- We seek both rich characters and grandiose ideas. We seek diverse characters.
Submission window open from October 31, 2016 to January 31, 2017. The published anthology will be a mix of stories both from invited authors and from slush pile submissions. Don’t self-reject. If in doubt, submit.
And coming after that... Welcome to Miskatonic University: Cthulhu, Eldritch Studies, and Campus Life. Modern day Cthulhu tales taking place at good ol' MU. Details forthcoming.
(These guidelines are also listed on our Submissions page.)